The first thing any parent thinks of when asked about adding volunteer time or another social commitment to the calendar is “What about the kids?” With busy schedules, short attention spans and diverse age groups – volunteering as a family isn’t always the easiest option – but on Earth Day there are an abundance of opportunities throughout northeast Ohio to help you empower the next generation of ecological stewards. And if your house is anything like mine, then you will probably learn a thing or two from the little ones when it comes to environmental responsibility.
Check out the list below for a few our favorite ways to party with the planet on Saturday, April 22nd. Then tell us in the comments section below how you’ll be spending Earth Day or give us a shoutout on Facebook or Twitter if you’d like to add something to the list!
- Join Earth Day Coalition for EarthFest 2017 from at Cuyahoga County Fairgrounds (10am-7pm) Celebrate the Year of Vibrant Green Space at Ohio’s largest environmental education event and the longest running Earth Day celebration in the nation. EarthFest will feature over 270 exhibitors in our nine eco-exhibit areas including Vibrant Green Space, Clean Transportation, Clean Water, Community Works, Environmental & Energy Science, Family Fun, Green Home & Garden, Health & Fitness and Local & Sustainable Food. More details here.
- Crown Point Ecology Center’s Earth Day 5k & 1-mile Family Fun Run (3pm) Celebrate Earth Day 2017 with a family-friendly, earth-friendly trail race or 1-mile Fun Run. Children are welcome, and there will be prizes, snacks and “goodies” to enjoy as we celebrate and enjoy the beauty of our surroundings. The timed race will take place on the grounds of Crown Point Ecology Center, a working organic farm with woods, meadows, wetlands and 5 ½ miles of hiking trails – a perfect place for a run! Click here to register.
- March for Science – Cleveland (9-2pm) – From the scientists who started it all . . . “A recent focus on science and how scientific findings impact public policy has put a spotlight on the scientific community and their research. We accept that science, as a field of knowledge and way of thinking, is not swayed by opinions; it is nonpartisan and all-inclusive. This is the time for us to come together as one community, take a stand, and lead a new conversation.” Scheduling details here.
- Drink Local. Drink Tap. – Earth Day Beach Clean Up (10am-12pm) Since 2010, Drink Local. Drink Tap., Inc. ™ has partnered with some great people and organizations to host monthly beach cleanups rain or shine. You can volunteer for a few hours April-September to help keep our Great Lake Erie GREAT! What we do here matters everywhere because water (and pollution) have no boundaries. Your hands are a really big help! Clean up will take place at Perkins Beach (entrance at upper Edgewater Park). Learn More About DLDT here.
- Caring Cubs – A local group of Cleveland parents plan monthly service activities that are developmentally appropriate for kids as young as 2 years old. On Earth Day 2017 some of our youngest community members can help clean up Center Park by collecting sticks and picking up litter. In addition to the volunteer service, we will have the opportunity to explore and learn more about the parks with a Metroparks Ranger! (*Registration for this event is FULL, please visit their website for details on upcoming events.)